P2PU is going back to Berlin! Since we like this city so much, and seem to get good work done there, we’ve decided to set up a temporary office in Berlin in July 2012. Isn’t that just the most exciting thing you’ve heard all week? Thought so…
Why are we doing this?
- When you put smart and committed people into a room with each other great things will happen
- We are an extremely virtual organization – but some things are easier, faster, more fun in the real world
- We can’t afford to hire dozens of people, but we can provide a space for the community to come together and build the future of education together
- We have lots of projects, ideas, plans – we want to move faster
- The core P2PU office time will be July 2012, in a location still to be confirmed. Core staff will be there during this time, some will be there for a few days on either side.
- We have an open door policy – anyone can come and work on P2PU!
- For those who need help getting to Berlin or a place to stay, we’re offering a limited number of Berlin Fellowships.
What is included?
- A place to work and free meals.
- Shared accommodation for free. If you can’t stay in shared accommodation, let’s figure something out that could work for you.
- Help with (economy class) travel for those who need it.
- In some cases, the fellowship may not cover 100% of your costs, but we’ll try to make it work on a case by case basis
- Anyone committed to working on P2PU (but if we have too many applications – we may not be able to bring everyone)
- Minimum time in Berlin to qualify for the fellowship is 2 weeks
- For those who need travel support, a longer commitment will justify a larger fellowship grant
- Pick a project you want to work on!
- There are some ideas on this etherpad, but you are totally free to come up with your own project: http://pad.p2pu.org/
- Discuss your project idea with a P2PU community member and ask them to write you a reference.
- Send your application to Bekka (bekka (at) p2pu (dot)org) which includes:
- Your name
- What has been your involvement in P2PU in the past?
- What is your project? What will you be working on in Berlin?
- What will you achieve / complete during your time in Berlin?
- What skills can you offer?
- How long you will stay (dates)?
- Will you stay in shared accommodation, or provide your own?
- Where are you traveling from?
- (Include the reference)
- A review group made up of 2 staff members and 2 volunteer members makes recommendations (and our Executive Director makes the final call) on the basis of the following:
- Track record in the community
- Quality of the proposal
- Skills and expertise
- Length of stay
- 1 April – application deadline (no joke!)
- 1 April – 15 April: Review applications
- 15 April – 1 May: Confirm attendance