P2PU is going back to Berlin! Since we like this city so much, and seem to get good work done there, we’ve decided to set up a temporary office in Berlin in July 2012. Isn’t that just the most exciting thing you’ve heard all week? Thought so…
Why are we doing this?
- When you put smart and committed people into a room with each other great things will happen
- We are an extremely virtual organization – but some things are easier, faster, more fun in the real world
- We can’t afford to hire dozens of people, but we can provide a space for the community to come together and build the future of education together
- We have lots of projects, ideas, plans – we want to move faster
How will it work?
- The core P2PU office time will be July 2012, in a location still to be confirmed. Core staff will be there during this time, some will be there for a few days on either side.
- We have an open door policy – anyone can come and work on P2PU!
- For those who need help getting to Berlin or a place to stay, we’re offering a limited number of Berlin Fellowships.
What is included?
- A place to work and free meals.
- Shared accommodation for free. If you can’t stay in shared accommodation, let’s figure something out that could work for you.
- Help with (economy class) travel for those who need it.
- In some cases, the fellowship may not cover 100% of your costs, but we’ll try to make it work on a case by case basis
Who can come?
- Anyone committed to working on P2PU (but if we have too many applications – we may not be able to bring everyone)
- Minimum time in Berlin to qualify for the fellowship is 2 weeks
- For those who need travel support, a longer commitment will justify a larger fellowship grant
How can you apply?
- Pick a project you want to work on!
- There are some ideas on this etherpad, but you are totally free to come up with your own project: http://pad.p2pu.org/
- Discuss your project idea with a P2PU community member and ask them to write you a reference.
- Send your application to Bekka (bekka (at) p2pu (dot)org) which includes:
- Your name
- What has been your involvement in P2PU in the past?
- What is your project? What will you be working on in Berlin?
- What will you achieve / complete during your time in Berlin?
- What skills can you offer?
- How long you will stay (dates)?
- Will you stay in shared accommodation, or provide your own?
- Where are you traveling from?
- (Include the reference)
How do we choose who gets the fellowship?
- A review group made up of 2 staff members and 2 volunteer members makes recommendations (and our Executive Director makes the final call) on the basis of the following:
- Track record in the community
- Quality of the proposal
- Skills and expertise
- Length of stay
What’s the deadline and general timeline?
- 1 April – application deadline (no joke!)
- 1 April – 15 April: Review applications
- 15 April – 1 May: Confirm attendance
- 1 May: All travel booked
There will be further discussion about this in this week’s Community Call, so if you have questions, feel free to add them to the call agenda.
You can also look at the Berlin planning etherpad, which has a discussion section near the bottom of the pad