Yesterday, Audrey Watters of Hack Education, Andrew Sliwinski at Mozilla Foundation, Justin Reich of HarvardX and Berkman Center, Vanessa Gennarelli of P2PU came together to discuss the current obsession with the field of learning analytics.
- Whether learning analytics are a new field
- What sorts of data can be collected (engagement versus comprehension/recall)
- Difficulties in acquiring/sharing reliable data
- Power and learner agency
- Ethics, privacy and the impact of research on results
We invite you to weigh in with your opinion at community.p2pu.org.
Articles and Blog Posts Referenced:
- Philipp Schmidt: “Analytics and the Art of Learning“
- Justin Reich: “Privacy, Anonymity and Big Data in the Social Sciences“
- Katy Jordan: “MOOC Completion Rates: the Data“
- Jennifer Heath: “Contemporary Privacy Theory Contributions to Learning Analytics“
Our Takeaways and Reflections: